Sunday, October 22, 2006

Vroooommm!

This week's good news is that I passed the driving test and will now have an official Danish driving license (when it arrives in 2 weeks). It's valid until I turn 70 years old and can be used in any EU country and Norway (not in EU). The test was fine. For those who don t know, as of May 1, 2006, non-EU citizens have to take the driving tests in order to be granted a Danish driving license (required after 14 days of residence). I received a temporary license after turning in my Texas driving license. I took the theoretical test then the practical test which was last Monday. This would have been pretty trivial except that I had to do it in a manual transmission car. After a few lessons over the last month, I went for the test in Helsingør. Providence may have intervened because when the policeman asked me to turn right at one point, construction blocked the way. I then turned left and wound my way along some coastal and country roads until I returned to the police station. Had I turned right, I would have headed into the medieval streets of Helsingør full of vacationing Danes and Swedes buying alcohol. The only challenging things on the test were the roundabouts, but there was no problem.

Today is our guests' last full day here. We're going to the ballet. Over the week we have kept a fairly leisurely pace, but we've managed to see a lot of things. We went to the viking ship museum in Roskilde, did a harbor tour, some walking tours, visited the Jewish museum, the Karen Blixen museum, and the DGI Byen swim center. I know I'm forgetting some things, maybe I'll add them when I remember. We've had a great time, and welcome all who would like to visit.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 01 November, 2006 00:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween, What do they do in Denmark?

 
At 01 November, 2006 06:51, Blogger hoo said...

Boo! Halloween is new to Denmark. People have adopted it over the last four or five years. I've seen a lot of jack-o-lanterns and there were a few people in costume evening, but not many. In one of the suburbs there was an event where businesses stayed open late and distributed candy to children while the parents could shop. Since Halloween isn't big here, the Christmas displays come out even earlier. Ikea had their Christmas stuff out last week.

 
At 03 November, 2006 03:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is still pretty early here, encroaching now well before Halloween....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home