Sunday, January 13, 2008

Are They Happy in Allerød?

Thanks to Mom for letting us know about the segment on Denmark broadcast on 20/20 last week. It looks like word is getting out - this was a report based on a study released in April which confirmed the earlier study in 2006.

There are many Danish place names that end in ...rød. Hillerød, Birkerød, Asminderød, Lillerød, Solrød, Søllerød, Usserød, and Vipperød. It was explained to me that rød is an old way to spell clearing in Danish - rydning is the current spelling. Some of the town names I can translate using my little Danish-English dictionary: Lillerød (small clearing), Solrød (sun clearing), Søllerød (measly clearing). My favorite is Allerød, a town north of Copenhagen. The literal meaning of Allerød is clear from their town seal. Yes, those are three tree stumps.

As for the baby - due at the end of the month - I'm reminded of the drilling reports I read early on in my career as a geologist. The drilling reports are daily reports summarizing all the drilling activity for the engineering staff back in the office. They're full of abbreviations and I kept coming across "WOW" which at first glance would indicate something really exciting. As it turns out it is shorthand for Waiting on Weather. So, now I can say that we're WOB.




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home