Monday, November 06, 2006

Lights out

I've replaced the duplicate photo (viking ship) from a previous post with a picture of the lake near our apartment. We enjoy running around the lake and watching the ducks, swans, and seagulls.

It was bound to happen. By law in Denmark drivers must have headlights on at all times. Cars here are set up to have the light come on when the engine is running. Ours isn't, nor does it beep at us when I leave the lights on and get out of the car. So, on a shopping trip Saturday I left the lights on and ran the battery down. Alexa took the perishables home on the train and I went off in search of jumper cables (no jumper cables either!?!?). Another thing about Denmark is that the vast majority of cars are manual transmissions which allow one to start the car with the help of a small hill or a push from some willing participants, thus few jumper cables. Anyway, a nice man pointed me toward the nearest gas station. I hiked over, found cables for $50, and returned to lay in wait for the next nice passerby. Not long after that, the family parked to my right returned to their car. I politely asked (in English) if they could help me. They did and everything worked out fine. The funny part was that when I was backing out of my spot, I saw the back of the man's jacket as he got into the car. On it was "Schuylkill Rowing" and "Philadelphia" (my hometown). I chose not to harass him further, but it was another manifestation of the "small world syndrome."

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10 November, 2006 21:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the same ship that they are planning to sail to Ireland? (see http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/11/10/viking.ship.ap/index.html)

 
At 11 November, 2006 06:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy and Alexa,
I am finding great joy in reading all of your postings. We miss you here in Houston but it sounds like things are going really well there for you. (Unless letting your battery run down counts as something really bad) Keep on posting.

Ted W

 
At 11 November, 2006 08:19, Blogger hoo said...

Thanks for the positive feedback, Ted. Until the novelty wears off, things like running down the battery are just gateways to new experiences. Now, if it happens again, that will be a hassle...

 
At 11 November, 2006 08:22, Blogger hoo said...

That's right. The ship on the Sunday Oct. 15 post is the one that's going to Dublin next summer. I think they're going with 70+ people. Not a good idea if someone is looking for a little time alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home