Monday, January 28, 2008

Land of Lego


Today is the 50th anniversary of the introduction of Lego. The Danish story can be found here. Google celebrated with a Lego-logo. Some Lego facts:

  • 7 boxes of Legos are sold every second;
  • 36,000 lego pieces are made every minute;
  • 400 billion pieces have been made since 1949, enough to build 10 towers to the moon;
  • the highest Lego tower built to date is 28.74 meters (94 feet);
  • six Lego blocks can be combined in 915 million different ways (not including different color combinations);
  • the name Lego comes from a combination of the Danish words "leg" (play) and "godt" (well).
Legos will become a bigger part of our life in a few years. Until then, I'll enjoy walking around the apartment in bare feet without fear of stepping on one of those little plastic bricks (sorry Mom & Dad). I'll look forward to a visit to LegoLand in a few years.

In other Denmark news, the national men's handball team won the European championship. This is the biggest sports news since the soccer/football team won the European championship in 1992, but like football/soccer I just don't get it. I would say that handball is more exciting than football/soccer, but I need someone to explain the finer points to be able to appreciate it more. More news about that here and here, and a description of the game for people like me.

Since I'm writing this, you can guess that we're still waiting for the baby to arrive. We're doing fine and will be all ready, as soon as I get the car seat installed...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home